Tuesday, September 30, 2008

intermission- distraction

I tap my feet, trying to read my textbook, trying to understand exactly what Wernicke’s area of the brain has to do with not being able to speak properly. Because if it does, there is definitely something wrong with my Wernicke’s area. Keeping my eyes down, I run my tongue over my teeth, making sure it’s still there. There must be some reason I can’t talk.

Looking up, I inwardly curse and rejoice that she’s still there. A part of me whispers that maybe if I just sit back and stare, I’ll be able to muster up the courage to actually approach her, to bask in her presence, to talk to her. It’s crazy talk, all of it.

Sitting at a table near the reference section of the library, she’s taken the wiser path. To my right the easy chairs next to the magazine racks hold one student; head tilted back, mouth agape, textbook wide open on his lap. Hard uncomfortable wooden chairs are definitely the way to go for the serious scholar.

There has to be a way to get some studying done. And then it comes to me. I can read a page, and look up, through this technique get actual studying done. I’m thrilled with what my brilliant mind has come up with, and then stupidly decide to start it off with a glance.

And then a glance turns into a look. Before it can turn into a stare I drop my eyes to the page, and attempt to start reading again. How can she be so pretty? There are some things that I can’t wrap my mind around- and this is definitely one of them.

After a page of Psychology, I look up again. She’s still reading, eyes intent on the pages. Her eyes glance right to a notebook on the table, a slender hand pushes a strand of long, dark hair behind one ear, and she looks up, grey-blue eyes locking onto mine.

My heart stops.

Thousands and thousands of ideas run through my mind- anything to fix this, anything to make this all stop and have everything back to normal where I don’t even look up every page and where I’m just studying and she’s just studying and work gets done and everything is all right. Nothing comes up.

Her look turns from one of slight surprise to one of vaguely irritated curiosity.

I get up.

My feet are Judas incarnate, and they bring me to her table, standing directly across from her.

I open my mouth.

“Hey, I’m really sorry. Not even just a little sorry- really, really, really sorry. I mean, here you are, sitting here actually doing work and I’m over there staring and um... Not what I was trying to say... You know what? You’re pretty. And maybe people don’t tell you that or you don’t hear it often or whatever, but you are. And I’m sitting all the way over there and I can’t stop looking up. And- it’s just- distracting. I can’t get any work done, because you’re there, and you’re still looking like that. It’s not even that I’m into you, or that I think about you ever when I don’t see you, because I don’t. It’s just when you’re around. And- just- take the compliment... I’m going to go. Find somewhere I can actually work.”

Turning, I walk to the library doors, heart beating like I’ve just been running for my life. And walk out.

8 comments:

-evan said...

alternate ending [continuing on]:

And look down.

Because it's not bad enough to be looking up at someone you've never spoken to every few seconds, you have to daydream while doing it.

Out of the corner of my eye I watch her glance at a notebook, fix her hair, and look in my direction.

Running my fingers through my hair, still looking down, I exhale slowly.There are so many terrible, terrible ways that could've gone horribly, horribly wrong.

-evan said...

there are so many things to say about this. sort of.

"half-fiction"? what? no, this did not actually happen to me. the "half" in "half-fiction" could actually refer to any part within the work. for example, yes, i have studied in a library.

this was written while listening to:

pretty handsome awkward - the used

you've got a friend in me - the zutons

written because the first class of the day was cancelled, and i am pretty thrilled.

these (posts) have been getting longer and longer. not quite sure that's a good thing.

fen said...

longer posts are nice.

i like this one, it made me smile.
--

Cable said...

this i think is my favorite out of the very limited selection of your work that i have been exposed to. very nice...i don't want to use the word 'simple' because it has negative connotations...perhaps i should double it up w/ a companion, something along the lines of "simply marvelous". haha.
very well done. i could clearly see it happening and it seemed entirely possible...i laughed, but at the same time couldn't laugh in good concience at the poor guy. good stuff

May-Belle said...

awwww.
i like the first ending better.
though the second is...well it carries that touch of realism. sad day.
well done evan. i'd love to hear this from the girls perspective too...

also i like them longer

-evan said...

it's just an intermission, people. so- probably nothing else going on here...

and you can choose whichever ending you prefer, that's why the other one is an alternate ending.

Anonymous said...

the alternate ending was realistic and the first ending was probably what he daydreamt[?] could have happened in that split second of panic. haha.

a real "meet-cute" moment from a chick-flick.

Unknown said...

I like this one. alot. i think i like the first ending better though because it resolves the story without being too revealing. but i like it.